- Power connections terminated properly
- Adequate current source
- Proper fusing?
- Negative power connection adequate
- To Battery?
- To body with star washers?
- Antenna securely mounted? (Secure for speed or striking obstacles)
- Weather proof installation?
- Antenna adequate for power of radio?
- Does the antenna obstruct view?
- Any visible damage to antenna?
- For trunk-lip mounts, are set screws into bare metal? If so, protected from rust?
- For HF, is necessary bonding done (trunk to car, muffler to frame, etc).
- Power grounding (see above)
- Are cables protected from chaffing or bending damage?
- If cables go through firewall, do cables use grommet or other protection?
- Are any cables in engine compartment secured properly?
- Are steps taken to minimize cables near car computer?
- Any visible wires under dash or in cabin (cables running on floor from trunk to front)?
- Is radio securely mounted?
- Can the driver see and operate radio easy to minimize distraction while driving?
- If detached faceplate, are both body and faceplate adequately mounted?
- Is radio properly ventilated?
- Is radio secure from passengers, kids? (feet under the seat?)
- Can the operator hear the speaker well?
- Are any cables to radio (microphone, speaker, control head) protected and secure?
- Does it appear to be an overall quality installation?
- Does it look like the factor installed it?
Operational Safety Concerns
- Does the mounted radio interfere with the airbag (driver or passenger)?
- Does the radio allow the driver to drive safely first and foremost?
- Is the microphone in a safe place?