St. Petersburg Amateur Radio Club, Inc.
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of this corporation shall be the St. Petersburg Amateur Radio Club, Incorporated, a Florida Non-Profit Corporation, herein known as SPARC.
ARTICLE II PURPOSES
The purposes of SPARC are:
- To further and promote the social benefits and technical advancement of the radio arts.
- To acquire, organize, establish and maintain facilities for social and emergency communication—both mobile and stationary.
- To assist and cooperate with authorized agencies in any emergency of local, state or national scope.
- To further fellowship among radio amateurs, potential radio amateurs and other parties interested in amateur radio.
ARTICLE III MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1. MEMBERS
- Any person interested in amateur radio is eligible for general membership.
- Family membership shall be available to a member of a family of a general member, living in the samehousehold[TS1] .
- Application for membership with tender of dues may be submitted to the membership at any time.
- Upon acceptance by membership committee, the applicant shall be introduced to the membership at a regular meeting.
- Applicant for membership shall be voted on at a regular meting. A favorable majority vote will denote acceptance.
SECTION 2. APPLICATION
Section 3. Membership Dues
- Dues shall be determined by the executive board.
- Membership dues shall be valid for the calendar year January 1st to December 31st.
- Any member whose dues are not paid by January 31st of the new year shall cease to be a member.
- Former members, in good standing, shall be reinstated upon payment of dues.
- General and family members shall have voting privileges.
- The President shall be entitled to vote only in case of a tie or when the voting is by written ballot.
- No vote taken by the Executive Board, any committee or by the membership shall be valid unless such vote shall be taken with a quorum present.
- A member accused of conduct unbecoming a member of SPARC shall warrant the situation being reviewed by the Executive Board.
- If an investigation by the board affirms the charge and Executive Board affirms by simple majority, it shall be referred to a vote of the general membership at the next general meeting.
- A two-thirds (2/3) majority of the membership in attendance shall be required to sustain the charge and recommended expulsion from membership.
- Upon explosion from membership any dues paid for future years in advance shall be returned to the member.
- This section also applies to life members and honorary members without monetary implications.
Section 4. Voting
Section 5. Discipline
Article IV Meetings
Section 1. Regular Meetings
The regular meeting of SPARC shall be held the first Friday of each month unless some meeting is omitted or changed by previous club vote or by action of the Executive Board, with due and reasonable notice to the members.
Section 2. Special Meetings.
- Special meetings may be called by the President or by the majority or the majority of the Executive Board or upon petition of ten (10) members in good standing, the President shall call a special meeting.
- Written notice, stating Place, Date and Hour of any Special Meeting of the members in good standing, shall be delivered personally or sent by mail to each member not less than ten (10) days prior to the date of such meting. The purpose or purposes for which the meeting is called shall be stated on the notice.
Section 3. Annual Meeting
The annual meeting of SPARC shall be the regular November meeting of every year.
Section 4. Quorum
A quorum shall consist of fifteen (15) members in good standing and an elected member of the Executive Board, as chairman.
Section 5. Location
All meetings shall take place at such locale as may be designated by the President or the Executive Board.
Article V Indebtedness / Liability
Section 1. Contracts
All contracts of indebtedness must be read at a regular or special meeting called for such purposes and approval of said indebtedness must be by two-thirds (2/3) vote of those members present who hold voting privileges.
Section 2. Liability
Notwithstanding the provision of Article VI, Section 5, Paragraph G, no member shall incur any indebtedness without securing the consent of the Executive Board. In the event a member shall incur an indebtedness on behalf of the corporation and said indebtedness is not ratified at the next meeting of the EXECUTIVE BOARD, then, in that event, that member shall be personally liable for that indebtedness and shall indemnify the corporation of that indebtedness.
Article VI Government
Section 1. Executive Board
- Members shall all be licensed Amateurs.
- Shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President, Trustee(s) for the Club Radio Station, Trustee(s) for the Club Repeater(s), Editor of the Club Bulletin (SPARC GAP) and three (3) Board Members elected by the general membership. In the event multiple positions above are filled by one (1) person, said person shall have only one (1) vote.
- Activities shall be reported at every regular club meeting.
- Shall conduct necessary business of the organization between regular meetings.
- Shall modify, as necessary, and approve all budgets presented by the committee chairmen.
Section 2. Vacancy
A vacancy occurring in the EXECUTIVE BOARD within six (6) months after the election shall be filled by a quorum vote of the membership. All others after that time shall be filled by a majority vote of the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
Section 3. Meetings
- The EXECUTIVE BOARD shall have a minimum of four (4) meetings annually.
- Meetings of the EXECUTIVE BOARD shall be held:
- i. At the call of the chairman.
- ii. At the request of three (3) members of the board.
Section 4. Quorum
A Quorum of the EXECUTIVE BOARD shall be five (5) members thereof.
Section 5. Duties of the President
The President shall:
- Be the Executive Office of SPARC.
- Preside at all regular or special meetings.
- Maintain order and dispatch such business as may legally come before him/her.
- Be cognizant of all expenditures.
- Automatically become chairman of the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- Appoint station trustee(s) for the Club Radio Station and Repeater(s). These appointments shall be reviewed and confirmed every year by the President with approval of the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- Be authorized to spend up to fifty ($50) dollars per month to cover unbudgeted expenses. Unbudgeted expenses greater than fifty ($50) dollars shall be approved by the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- Appoint all committee chairman necessary to the club.
Section 6. Duties of the Vice President
The Vice President shall:
- Preside at all meetings in the absence of the President.
- Be general chairman of the annual club hamfest.
- Make arrangements for club meeting program, when needed.
Section 7. Duties of the Secretary
The Secretary shall:
- Keep true and complete records of all meetings of the membership and the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- Read minutes of the previous meeting and summary of EXECUTIVE BOARD meeting at each regular meeting of the membership.
- Conduct all necessary correspondence.
- Assist President in implementing motions, orders and resolutions of SPARC.
- Do all things incidental and necessary to increase the membership, activities, services and effectiveness of SPARC as he/she shall be authorized to do so by the President and/or EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- With the President, check annually all legal papers for validation of their accuracy, ie: Bank signature cards, regular meeting place contract, Florida Incorporation Non-Profit Annual Report, Postal Permit, etc.
Section 8. Duties of the Treasurer
The treasurer shall:
- Receive all monies for SPARC
- Bank SPARC√ïs monies as directed by the EXECUTIVE BOARD.
- Make authorized disbursements.
- Give a Treasurer√ïs Report at each regular SPARC meeting and the EXECUTIVE BOARD meeting.
- Receive applications and monies for new members from the membership committee.
- Issue membership cards.
- Keep a system of accounts and preserve all receipts and vouchers for payments made.
- Keep membership list of all members with Name, Call, Address and other pertinent information.
- Give to the SPARC-GAP Editor monthly a list of new members and update the current membership calls, change of address and phone numbers for publication in the SPARC-GAP.
- Complete a roster of SPARC members, with current dues, as of January thirty-one (31) and have available for all members by March (1) of the current year.
- Be responsible for maintaining up-to-date bank signature card.
ARTICLE VII COMMITTEES
SECTION 1. COMMITTEE COMPOSITION
A. Standing Committee
- Shall be appointed for one year.
- Shall consist of a Chairman and at least four (4) other members.
B. Select (Ad-Hoc) Committee
- Shall be appointed for a special purpose.
- Shall consist of a Chairman and at least two (2) other members.
- Club Radio Station
Chairman shall be the Station Trustee.
- Repeater Station(s)
- Chairman shall be the Station Trustee(s).
Chairman shall be the Editor of SPARC-GAP.
Chairman shall arrange for refreshments to be served at SPARC Meetings.
- At the October meeting each standing committee chairman shall submit to the Executive Board an Annual Budget.
- Radio/Repeater Station Trustee shall assume full responsibility for the maintenance and proper operation of their Club Radio/Repeater Station and attend to all matters pertaining to said station, subject to the Jurisdiction of the Federal Communication Commission.
- Committee Chairmen shall not spend monies in excess of their approved budget.
- SPARC√ïs Financial Records shall be audited annually by a committee of the membership appointed by the President and a written report shall be submitted to the Executive Board.
- Shall be appointed at the September meeting by the President
- Shall nominate candidates for President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and three (3) Board Members.
- Shall file nominations at the October meeting
- Nominations shall also be received from the floor at the October meeting.
- If necessary due to the unavailability of a proposed candidate to run, the nominating committee may reconvene at any time prior to the actual vote during the November meeting for the sole purpose of replacing the candidate that was not available. All other candidates are to remain unchanged.
SECTION 2. STANDING COMMITTEES
SECTION 3. DUTIES OF CHAIRMAN
ARTICLE VIII NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
SECTION I. NOMINATION COMMITTEE
SECTION 2. ELECTIONS
- Officers and Board Members shall be elected at the Annual Meeting.
- Shall require a majority of votes cast to elect a candidate to office, with run-off elections being held if needed.
SECTION 3. INSTALLATION
Officers and three (3) Board Members elected at the Annual Meeting shall be installed before the close of the Annual Meeting.
ARTICLE IX COMPLIMENTARY TITLES
SECTION I. PRESIDENT EMERITUS
- Is a complimentary title that may be bestowed on a Past President of SPARC which normally is given at the time his term of office is completed and when he has performed in a truly outstanding manner.
- Is a perpetual title unless rescinded.
- Has the right to attend all committee meetings, including the Executive Board Meeting and he shall have voice and vote.
- Shall be invited to sit at the head table of any social affairs of SPARC.
SECTION 2. HONORARY MEMBERSHIP
- Is a complimentary title that may be bestowed on either a member, spouse of a member or a non-member.
- Rights are to attend
- Holders cannot make motions or vote.
- Is for life and such members are not required to pay dues.
- Holders may not hold an elective office.
SECTION 3. LIFE MEMBER
- Is a complimentary title that may be bestowed on a member.
- The rights are the same as a full member.
- Is for life and such members are not required to pay dues .
ARTICLE X PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The Parliamentary Writings of General H.M. Roberts and /or his Heirs shall govern SPARC in all cases not covered in the Articles of Incorporation and these By-Laws.
ARTICLE XI AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1. Introduction
Proposals for amendment shall be submitted in writing and shall be read at one (1) regular meeting before being voted upon at the next regular meeting.
SECTION 2. Notification
All members who were not present at the meeting at which the intended amendment was announced shall be sent by mail (physical or electronic with proper confirmation of receipt) notice of intent to amend not less than ten (10) days prior to the meeting at which the membership shall vote on the amendment.
ARTICLE XII EFFECTIVENESS
These By-Laws shall become in full force and effect after their approval and adoption by the membership present at the meeting of April 6, 2012.